Food Industry Talent Network
New Jersey’s Food Industry Talent Network (FITN) builds partnerships in the manufacturing industry to develop and support advanced manufacturing in the Garden State and formulate strategies for competing at the regional, national, and global levels.
The FITN, led by the Rutgers Food Innovation Center, connects with businesses, educational institutions, workforce organizations, training groups, and community- and faith-based organizations to gather ground-level intelligence on the industry to make informed decisions on high-quality public workforce investments and expand the number of New Jersey residents with industry-valued credentials or degrees.
- The food industry employed more than 33,300 in 2016.
- The average annual salary of food industry workers is $52,100.
- Five out of every six jobs in the food industry require no more than a high school education.
- More than 50,000 food production companies, farms, distribution centers, research and development facilities, business incubators and retailers.
- The food industry has exhibited steady growth in New Jersey from 2011 through 2016, both in terms of employment and the total number of establishments, with over 100 establishments and 3,000 jobs being added.
- Commercial and retail bakeries have shown solid growth over these five years, and have accounted for a large portion of the rise in both employment and establishments.
Denise Bartone, Director
Rutgers Food Innovation Center
120 New England Avenue
Piscataway, NJ 08854